About This Blog

Shapcano was the moniker used by William H. Shapland. My brother Bill is remembered and his memory honored by people in many different circles. We were touched to have the Washington Post publish an article about him when he left us in April, and overwhelmed to see Georgetown University's tribute and life celebration. We were moved once again to find fans of his writing keeping his on-line published works alive. This blog is my contribution to that effort. Thanks for visiting.

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Kane

Kane
by shapcano

The background noise of the microbrewery/restaurant continued unabated as Kane nonchalantly flipped up his patch and plucked out his "glass" eye. Seemingly unconscious of the affect he was having on his guest, he began polishing the orb with a yellow silk handkerchief. While pretending to be pre-occupied with the cleanliness of his prosthesis, Kane inwardly smiled at the shade of green the Johnson turned as the suit attempted to complete his description of the job without looking at the now exposed hole in the shadowrunner's face.
"……so, as you can see, .....uh........hm.....that is, you understand, the job is complicated and requires precision. I believe the pay is generous, but if you take the job, I must have your assurance that you will not hurt anyone and that you will keep property destruction to a minimum. I.....appreciate subtlety."
But have no idea how to practice it Kane thought "Why so light on the corp, chummer?" The shadowrunner asked accusingly, "Could this be a run against your own?"
The silence that ensued was uneasy rather than stony. After a brief wait which added to the salariman's discomfort, "Frag that, Mr. Johnson. I've lost too many chummers on fraggin tail chasers. I smell set up." Kane said as he lithely rose to leave.
"Wait, please!" the Johnson implored. After a few seconds Kane sat back down and re-inserted the apparently badly fitted glass eye, watching the corper swallow as the painted iris rolled directly up under the lid. Rather than explain the orb was actually part of a rather sophisticated cybereye system, the samurai silently pulled the "view-thru"™ eye patch back into place and waited for the suit to "come clean".
"You…..You're right. But it's not a tail chaser, honestly. Those idiots in security think they are foolproof. Swanson thinks he's got every angle, every approach covered, but I'm sure he's wrong. There's no logic, no thought, just a pile of "security measures" thrown on top of each other. The entire security directive has to be shown that to protect against thieves you need to think like a thief. It will end up costing……well, never mind that. You have a reputation for uhm…..getting in and out of places that are considered impregnable. I've done a lot of checking and….."
"I know my rep pretty good" Kane nodded, "Instead of impressing me with all you know about me, why don't you get back to the biz."
"Yes, yes, of course." The Johnson agreed, "I, uh, well here are the details of the security set up." In what Kane had to admit was a subtle pass, the corper flicked a data chip under the table into the shadowrunner's lap. "In order to get the bulk of your payment," Johnson continued, "you need to grab a piece of data from a stand-alone computer in a protected vault. It's in a basement that's refrigerated to improve the efficiency of the heat sensors and....uhm well, the rest of the data is on the chip. I've arranged for 70K¥ for this job. How you distribute that is up to you. Twenty five percent up front."
"Standard is 50 percent up front, 50 on delivery." Kane objected.
"For a run with all of the security data provided? I don't think so. Regardless, 25 percent is all of the upfront cred I'm willing to disburse at this time."
Something in the suit's tone told Kane that his potential employer was suddenly a little too comfortable. This made Kane uneasy. The runner replayed the subtle chip pass in his mind and became more uneasy. Rather than surrender to his paranoia, Kane decided to re-establish control of the conversation. He quickly switched gears and demanded "Time frame?"
"I.....uhm......I need to show....." stopping himself from revealing too much, the Johnson took a breath and said "Two days".
"Not enough time." Kane responded. "I'll need time to plan, get equipment......"
"Please." Mr. Johnson interrupted, back on solid ground once again, "Let's not allow difficulties to arise at this stage of the proceedings. I've done my research. I know that the pay is generous and that the timetable is not impossible. I also know standard negotiation techniques, so lets cut to the chase, shall we? 70,000¥, 2 days, collateral damage to a minimum. Twenty five percent in advance. Do you want the job or not?"
Whoa, The shadowrunner thought, Pushing rather hard, aren't we, Mr. Johnson? For someone who appreciates subtlety you've got a pretty heavy hand. Something definitely smells.
Flicking the chip back into the Johnson's lap, Kane said "Not" as he leaned back and crossed his arms.
"But....but I don't understand....."
"No sale. Don't want the work."
"Alright. Alright. 75 thousand."
When the additional money got no reaction the Johnson continued, "Come, come now. I've been told this job is right up your alley. I can't believe your being so childish over the front end..."
Shaking his head, Kane rose from the table. When the suit made the mistake of attempting to continue negotiations with the runner by reaching up and grabbing his arm, the reaction was as close to instantaneous as cybertechnology could achieve. Kane's right arm flashed down and back from the grab while his left came across the turning warrior's body until his palm was resting on the corper's elbow. The withdrawing right hand snagged a well manicured middle finger before surging forward. This caused the backward bent finger of the now straightened arm to form an excruciatingly effective joint lock. The Johnson could only gasp at the instant and remarkable pain of Dan Jyy Woh [Chin-Na "Single Finger Holding"]
"Don't touch" Kane said in a quiet voice.
Because his natural environment was the Darwinian jungle of corporate politics, the Johnson's instinctive reaction on finding himself in a position of weakness was to roar defiance so as to scare off the other predators. As he drew in a breath to bluster, Kane leaned forward, forcing the corper's arm up and head down onto the table. Mr. Johnson took the clue to keep his voice down and in a whisper said-
"Your fraggin rep is toast motherfaaaahhhh......"
"No," Kane patiently explained, "My rep doesn't require I take every job that comes down the pipe, chummer. This job ain't my cup of meat. Hire somebody else. Two other things-before you think about trashing reps, just remember what goes around comes around, scan? and um...." leaning down until the captured digit snapped like a celery stalk, "don't threaten me."
*****
The suit's "minder" was on the move before Kane could even release the fainted Johnson's hand. Oh Drek! Kane thought as he heard the bodyguard charge What the frag? Instead of turning towards the attack the shadowrunner instinctively and blindly fired off a Ushiro Geri Kekomi [Karate- back thrust kick.] Luckily the move stopped the attacking guard in his tracks. The minder "WHOOOOOOFFFFFed" as he folded over the foot in his gut. Because his instinctive reaction ended the charge at more than arm's length, Kane was spared evisceration by the corporate baby-sitter's extended cyberclaws. As this realization dawned the Gillette threw a roundhouse right, fueled by equal parts of adrenaline and pure fear, which clipped the breathless and doubled over guard in the side of the jaw, snapping his head around at turbo speed.
As the unconscious bodyguard slumped bonelessly to the floor, Kane attempted to look in all directions simultaneously. Though his upraised hands said "noncombatant" the adrenaline already in his system made all his actions twitchy and nervous. The "who me?" look he was trying to carry off read more like "who's next?". Immediately a pair of coolers materialized.
"*sigh* Smooth. Very Smooth. Now not only don't we get the biz but whatever cred we can scrape up is gonna be needed to put you back together. You want me to call the star?"
Grimacing at the woman's voice in his ear, Kane subvocalized "Wait" as the pair of trolls bracketed him. He took some deep breaths and calmed enough to allow the trolls to pat him down and disarm him. He offered no resistance but before he could begin to explain why it wasn't his fault, Drisha appeared.
Drisha was a large-framed, black, ork woman who ran the coolers at Rockbottom. Well muscled and attractive, Drisha had established herself as the ultimate bouncer when she had single-handedly cleared the bar of a fight involving the Rostov brothers, Big Dog the troll, Li Liu, Mai Liu and Tommy Nieufen. Demonstrating her familiarity with several martial arts, Drisha's treatment of the well known bar brawlers established a reputation as a no-nonsense bouncer who took her responsibility for keeping the peace literally.
"Deuce, this ain't the place for these games" she said in a low voice.
"My apologies, fem." Kane responded quickly, "Response to aggressive moves. No disrespect intended."
Making an effort to charm the bouncer with his smile, Kane waited quietly while she looked over his weapons and his victims. The voice in his ear said,
"Wow. I think I'm in love. Would you buy me that, daddy?"
"No" Kane subvocalized.
"Aw, come on. Please? Pretty please? I'll take care of her and feed her and walk her and wash her and everything. She can even sleep in my bed. Puh-leeasee?"
"Stop". The sam said without moving his lips
"You are so mean. I never get to have any fun...."
The growl of one of the coolers focused Kane attention back on Drisha. After a few seconds of contemplation she quietly said, "Deuce, you're gonna have to find another place to set up your biz. Whether you started it or not, we don't want trouble here and you scream trouble. Hit the bricks, don't come back."
Kane had the good sense not to contest the Bouncer's sentence. He nodded and asked "My tools?"
Drisha addressed one of the trolls, "Port, give him back his....tools. After he is outside."
******
Port was just finishing the return of Kane's weapons (under Starboard's armed and watchful eye) when a stretch Rolls Royce Phaeton Limo pulled up to the curb. When the shadowrunner ignored the yards of shining black luxury vehicle and began walking up the street, the voice in his ear said
"Don't look now, boss, but I think somebody wants you and they look like they got enough creds to solve our problems."
"Shut up" was all the samurai replied.
After a block the limo pulled ahead and stopped. The driver got out and came around to stand on the sidewalk.
"You are wanted". The chauffeur announced.
Kane walked past the driver giving no indication that he had heard what the liveried troll had said. Inside he was praying that the driver would reach out and physically try to accost him, providing the excuse for violence. Instead of granting the samurai's secret wish, the chauffeur simply walked along next to him, waiting for a response. Half a block later he repeated "You are wanted"
Kane spun to confront the troll but as the memories rushed back he found himself so angry that he couldn't get out any words. In spite of his own rage, long practiced habits of assessing opponents allowed the sam to see that the driver was as furious at the situation as he was. Ironically, this struck Kane as funny.
Shaking his head he barked a short laugh and said "Frag off, Williams. Tell whichever moron sent YOU to fetch me, to piss up a rope. Tell them I wouldn't listen or that I wasn't interested, or that you couldn't find me. Tell them anything you like but get the fuck outta my face before I do something you'll regret."
"You are wanted" was all the troll replied, as if the effort to say anything else might break his resolve to carry out his thoroughly unpalatable assignment.
Kane shook his head and kept on walking.
"What the frag was that all about, chief? You and shoulders have a little history or what?"
"Personal" Kane subvocalized.
"No kidding? Who would have guessed? I....."
"Keep bugging me, smartass, and see what happens."
After several seconds of silence the voice in his ear quietly said "Sorry."
The grin of satisfaction at Lill's apology was short lived. Kane heard the <Tha-thump> of the limo's front wheels bumping up over the curb just before he became a hood ornament.
Disoriented more than hurt by his brief ride across the limo's extensive hood, the shadowrunner understood that the driver had expertly slowed the car before contact and then speeded up immediately afterwards. Kane was trying to catch the breath the impact had knocked out of him when he heard the driver's door close. He immediately found himself looking down the business end of a taser. The weapon was nearly lost in the huge hand that held it. Kane slowly focused on the grinning troll in the chauffeur's outfit.
"That's right, motherfucker. I got the drop on you. Twitch for me, you fraggin puke. Gimme any excuse, you suckwad. I'll fry your ass to a crisp and laugh while I do it."
Kane remained motionless.
"Now, dickhead," the troll continued, "I'm gonna say it for the last time. You… are… wanted. Get it? Why the General wants gutterscum like you, I don't know. But he does. And he sent me to collect you. So you're gonna get collected. One way or the other. Gimme any fuckin excuse and I swear to God I will finish what we started last time. Now, do we understand each other, Scumbag?"
"Yes" Kane replied.
"Good. Now get up real slow and get in back. Get tricky and I will …fuck…you…up. Clear?
"I scan."
The samurai slowly stood up and moved towards the limo. Although not entirely unexpected, the clout from behind was still delivered too quickly for Kane to limit it's effectiveness by ridding the blow out. Many miles away Lill shuddered as she heard the electric crackle of static when the troll fired the taser into Kane's slumping form.

"Kane.... Can you hear me?........Kane?.....C'mon, Kane, wake up! Kane!"
The tinny nature of the sound in his ear prompted a half conscious memory for the shadowrunner. He clicked his teeth together before exhibiting any other signs of consciousness.
"Oh, thank God!" Lill breathed, "I thought that big fragger had put you down, boss. Glad I was wrong. Your signal shows you're still moving away from downtown. Diagnostics says none of your tech was destroyed. Are you intact?"
After a few seconds of cautious testing on the limo's well appointed floor, Kane subvocalized "Ok."
"NOW can I call in the cavalry?"
"Not yet."
"Frag! How long should I wait?" Lill asked anxiously
"Till I say go." Kane responded without making a sound.
"*sigh* You're the boss. I just hope you know what you're doing."
Me too. Kane thought. Before he could do much analysis of his situation, Lill was back in his ear-
"Hey, boss. I'm picking up a conversation from your vehicle. Listen"
"........ why, pray tell, is he 'indisposed'?" Kane recognized the icy tone that General Brighton reserved for very serious issues indeed. The chauffeur's hesitation indicated that he was familiar with the tone as well.
"I....uh..... had to....um......restrain him to get him to come along, sir."
Several seconds of silence past before the general responded. "I see. To whom did you speak after I asked you to convey my request to Jeremiah?"
When Williams took too long to respond, the general cut in and asked "It was my darling daughter Elizabeth, was it not? I hope that you were following her orders and did not take it upon yourself to treat my wishes with such contempt."
Although the old man's voice maintained an even tone, Kane was sure Williams would have been more comfortable if the General were screaming his indignation.
"Yes." In his mind, Kane could imagine the old man steepling his fingers as he contemplated the situation "I can more easily imagine such insulting behavior from my overindulged progeny than I can from an otherwise trusted, if not overly bright, employee. Doubtless her 'refinements' corrupted my instructions without technically violating them."
"I'm sorry, sir." Williams said sheepishly, "She didn't want him to know the invitation came from you so I was just to say that he was wanted.....she, Miss Elizabeth knows this man is a criminal and........"
"......Yes, yes, I care very little for excuses, Williams." The old man interrupted, "So, what it comes to is this, your allegiance to my wayward daughter places me in a situation where I will need to apologize to my guest before I can ask him for this favor. Considering how this man has been treated by this family in the past, the likelihood of his aid is now reduced to a very low order of probability, to say nothing of what you have done to the laws of hospitality, civilized behavior and my reputation. Your slavish devotion to my viscous daughter's whims and your penchant for indulging your personal prejudices have made trying circumstances even more difficult, Williams. This is unacceptable. You will apologize to my guest before he steps into the house. It will be a complete, sincere and ACCEPTED apology." <click>
For the first time that day, Kane found himself grinning.


This story is copyright of the author. Shadowrun is a Registered Trademark of FASA Corporation. All Rights Reserved. Used without permission. Any use of FASA Corporation's copyrighted material or trademarks in this file should not be viewed as a challenge to those copyrights or trademarks.



No comments:

Post a Comment